Kentucky Mom to Twins and More

Friday, May 20, 2016

Can I just get a do-over?

The kids are all in bed. The day has been long - my husband left for a guys trip so it's single mother city over here.

Donuts never saw me coming.
My breathing feels heavy and my legs are almost numb. I'm realizing today's exhaustion is due to the fact that my body's intake today consisted of: a caramel hot chocolate, approximately three donuts during the breakfast / lunch hour, one slice of pizza at the preschool picnic this afternoon, my kid's leftover mac and cheese at dinner and a vanilla vodka martini with a splash of Baileys to celebrate another bedtime in the books. Ok, and a Toblerone chocolate bar.

But I go to bed knowing at least the kids are alive. I saw them eat a couple pieces of watermelon and at least three of them had bites of a carrot at dinner time, albeit covered in Hidden Valley Ranch. They thought I was mother of the year when I told them they could bring the classroom bunny home for the weekend (a bunny is a great distraction ploy for a mother who needs to get mounds of laundry and ironing done). I let them eat popcorn during the movie tonight even though they were not allowed on the couch with it.

I got them in bed with the minimum number of books before I crashed in my bed to a beckoning playlist of Modern Family episodes. No, I am not very proud of today. I definitely could have used a do-over at least by the time lunch rolled around. I pray I live to see the morning despite the fat grams I tore up today. I pray tomorrow will be better. It has to be - not just for my kids but at least for the sake of the Entenmanns ailse at the grocery store.


No comments:

Post a Comment